zen for christians

I've been reading about Zen.

Well, it actually started with reading this article and its comments about multitasking. Interesting how one led to the other...

But Zen. You can look it up and spend some time reading about, I'd say its well worth the reading. In the meantime I am going to summarize a few points.

  • Zen emphasizes experimental wisdom
  • Zen de-emphasizes both theoretical knowledge and the study of religious texts in favor of direct experimental realization
  • Zen is a 'way' which concentrates on direct experience rather than on rational creeds or revealed scriptures
So what does Zen have to do with being a Christian, and how do I feel they are somehow related? Maybe more so, I think that Christians could use a little more Zen in their lives.

Experimental Wisdom/Realization, Direct Experience - Zen talks about doing and experiencing rather than reading and imagining. As Christians we spend time reading the Bible, and don't get me wrong, I am not suggesting we stop. However, how much time to we spend just *being* in God's creation?

I know of these people, not Christians, who travel quite a distance, packed in a large van, from the city out to the rural area. They do physical labor, don't get paid too well, and are not treated the best. Ask them why they do it - they will tell you, to be with "this" and they kinda do that pointing/shrugging things with their hands up... I think you get the idea, they are referring to everything around them. They work in the fields, with plants, and they LOVE EVERY MINUTE OF IT.

To me, that is Zen.

I think Jesus knew Zen. I think he led by example, sure he spoke, but it was his deeds that awed. We are encouraged to explore this earth, and examine it. Its the basis behind science!

I remember a line I heard in a movie, you can question the movie and its suggestions, but one line, a supposed quote from Jesus himself... "lift a stone and find me, break a branch I am there."

Zen for Christians? Zen for me.

4 comments:

  Anonymous

September 7, 2008 at 12:09 AM

What would you say if I said faith was a direct experience?

  Jessica Côté

September 7, 2008 at 10:05 AM

It's the grand irony that Faith - a belief that is not based on proof - is indeed a direct experience.

I am not trying to imply that we cannot get direct experiences from other things, even from reading or just listening to a preacher, because an experience is mostly related to your feelings and perceptions of it.

However, I do think that we spend too much time reading and listening, and not actually DOING. I am suggesting we be more Christ-like and get out there more! Experience more. Lead by example...

And while going "make disciples."

  Anonymous

September 7, 2008 at 10:11 AM

wow. I'm way behind.

there is actually a book called "zen for Christians". I couldn't tell from your post whether you were aware of it or not.

  Jessica Côté

September 7, 2008 at 10:57 AM

ha ha, no, i didn't know of such a book, i should look into it. have you read it?