'give a little bit more than you have to give'

I think this is the first time that I have actually used lyrics as a blog title! Thanks Kid Rock and your song "Amen." From the album "Rock n Roll Jesus" 2007.

What does it mean to "give a little bit more than you have to give?" I immediately look at it two ways, first "have to" give meaning - what I am required to. Give more than required. I also see it as "have" to give... More than you physically have... Now that seems impossible on the surface.

I feel that in certain circumstances in my life, and in certain relationships that I have indeed given more than I really had in the first place. There are all kinds of relationship analogies, like the bank account one, where each person needs to withdraw and deposit equally in order to maintain proper balance.

What happens when there is no balance? I think eventually it wobbles out of control, and might even get to a point where it cannot be repaired, a point where no amount of deposits are going to bring that balance where it needs to be.

I guess I struggle with the whole idea, because how the heck do you know what the balance is supposed to be? And how can you tell things are off balance when they happen little by little and you never seem to receive a handy account statement in the mail.

Like any bank account with significant negative balances, the whole idea scares me, and rightly so...

Oh, and I'm "supposed" to follow this up with something positive, so if you got something in this situation that's positive, I'll take it!!!

0 comments: