cliff jumper

I'm on about that old adage - if all your friends jumped off a cliff, would you do it too? Probably not, because the outcome is not so good... But rather than cliff jumping, if all my "friends" got some good sweet deal because of something they did (or didn't) do, would I? Maybe... If many colleagues seem to get away with "whatever," can I?

I'm not sure that I will test this theory any time soon, because I have never done something simply because I'm supposed to, or simply because everyone else is. I have NEVER been a cliff jumper.


But could I? Could I waste a good chunk of my day, stretch the reality to somehow make my waste of time work related, and do very little tangible work? Could I be so un-stewardly with the time and money entrusted to me? Could I then turn around and imply things about other people's work ethic?


  • I 'could' but should I? NO.

  • I 'could' but would I be able to sleep that night? NO.

  • I 'could' but is it right? NO.


So I won't. Its got nothing to do with the (dis) ability necessary to achieve such. It would be A LOT easier than actually trying to get through my mountain of work. Its a CHOICE. I choose NOT to.

You can have your cliff all to yourselves.

1 comments:

  Anonymous

April 30, 2008 at 11:19 PM

I struggled with this at the phone company. certainly my work ethic was lower there than it had been when I worked retail, but I still couldn't shake that sense that I needed to be "doing something". And that was a union job, where they didn't WANT you to work too hard.

so I totally understand.